Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GWT does not Work with Snow Leopard

About two weeks ago with the new release of Snow Leopard, I was so excited about upgrading my Macbook Pro OS X to this new operating system. Things came well until I got a message when I was starting up GWT hosted mode application. GWT hosted mode was not launched because Snow Leopard comes with the 64-bit Java 6 version as its default Java Virtual Machine. As you may probably know, GWT is not compatible with any 64-bit Java versions. I initially thought that GWT, specifically 1.7.0 version, was not compatible with Java 6 because of its System Requirements. But after having read Snow Leopard, Java 6 and GWT article, I realized that GWT works with any 32-bit Java versions, even Java 6. All that you need to do is to read Snow Leopard, Java 6 and GWT article and follow the instructions that Alex Moffat posted in it.

A quickly fix was posted in OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard article few hours after Snow Leopard had been released in order to downgrade the JVM from Java 6 to Java 5. I downgraded the JVM version on my Mac OS X because I needed to keep working on my GWT project. But if you need to use Java 6 feautures and work with GWT, I highly recommend you to follow the steps posted in Snow Leopard, Java 6 and GWT.

No comments: