Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don't Start Up Oracle Instance as Root User in Unix

It's been a while since I stopped blogging. That is because I've been quite busy this semester with school and work. Right now, I'm taking some classes at the Houston Community College in order to get a MSA (Marketable Skills Achievement Certificate) in Oracle Database Administration as well as a MSA in Java Development.

About 1 months ago, when I was doing one of my Oracle Administration practices, I started up the Oracle Database instance as a root user. After having started up the instance, I started up the Enterprise Management Console (Web-based Oracle Configuration Management Tool), but it didn't get up because the oracle process couldn't log information about the initialization of the EM Console.

I called my instructor to help me out with this problem, and after checking out, we realized that some of the $ORACLE_HOME directories had different permissions because I had started up the instance with a user that doesn't belong to the DBA users.

When you install Oracle Database, you need to set up the OS Environment and create OS users that will perform Oracle Installation. I couldn't get the EM Console up because I previously started up the Oracle Database instance with OS root user, which didn't have written permissions in $ORACLE_HOME directories. In other words

"DO NOT START UP THE ORACLE DATABASE INSTANCE LOGGING IN AS ROOT USER AT LEAST THE ROOT USER BELONGS TO THE OS DB USER GROUP"

No comments: